Tuesday 23 May 2017

Shortbread Meringue Slices


I decided today it was time to put me and my Kenwood Mixer* to the test!
So this recipe is the combination of making shortbread and meringue all in my kMix* and in 30 mins, and I am extremely happy with the very delicious results.


I thought this was all going to be a lot more complicated but it was all surprisingly easy, and made easier without all the elbow grease, letting my mixer do that for me!

Ingredients:

For the shortbread:

115g softened butter (I used a diary free alternative so my mum could share!)
55g caster sugar
175g plain flour

For the meringue:

2 large egg whites
115g caster sugar

4 tbsp strawberry jam

What to do:

Preheat your oven to 200°C (fan 180°C) and grease a 9" tin.

Use the dough hook attachment on your mixer and add all of the shortbread ingredients to your free-standing mixer, turn the speed up to 1 for about a minute and then whop it up to 3 for another minute or until the mixture begins to clump together. Tip this mixture into your tin and press into an even layer on the bottom. Bake this in the over for 17 minutes or until it looks pale golden.

Meanwhile, to make your meringue swap over your mixer attachment to the whisk and separate your eggs. Add your egg whites to your bowl, putting the speed on maximum. Once the mixture starts to look like stiff clouds, add the sugar a teaspoon at a time and continue mixing everything until it is stiff and glossy.

Remove your shortbread from the oven (once it looks pale gold) and spread your jam over the hot base. The spoon your meringue over the jam to cover everything completely. Then put the tin back in the oven for a further 5 mins or until the meringue is a pale gold (I baked mine for 6 and a half minutes in the end) and then enjoy the slices hot or cold!!


I think the recipe sounds a lot more complicated than it really is!
Let me know if you make these slice. 


Love El
xxx

*This post includes a product that was gifted to me. All opinions are my own and I would never recommend something that I do not truly love.
SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig